What
better way to spend a cold, rainy day in Durban ?
Well of course, to position yourself on the couch with some tea and watch the
film ‘The Help’ for the umpteenth time. I found myself with salty, wet checks
after bawling my eyes out several times over the heartbreaking beauty that this
story is. I do confess to having watched the movie first when it was released,
before I actually read the book, but either way it gets me every time. It follows
the lives of two sides of the community of Jackson , Mississippi
during the 1960s – The Civil Rights era in America . Miss
Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan (played by Emma Stone, one of my very
favourite actresses.) is a gutsy, noble, sincere white woman that stands out
from the majority of the harsh white society. She decides to write a book
telling the sides of the mistreated black maids who spend their lives raising
white children. She becomes their voice that so desperately needs to be heard
and ultimately a hero.
This film actually got me thinking of South Africa ’s
history of racism during apartheid and really put my life into perspective. I know we are
still facing some issues as a country but I think I speak for every child born
into this new democracy when I say how extremely blessed I am to grow up with
such a diversity of race. One very special friend of mine comes to mind and I
thank God for putting such a shining light into my life.
This film will make you laugh
and cry all in one so if you haven’t seen it or read the book, I urge you to! It is such an honest and humbling portrayal of the lives
hurt during this era and the magnitude of strength that one person has to stand
up for her fellow human.
I especially love this scene when Constantine says to Skeeter, “Ever morning, until you
dead in the ground, you gone have to make this decision. You gone have to ask
yourself, "Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?”
And of course courageous Aibileen with the memorable line she reminds young Mae Mobley of daily, "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." It certainly touched my heart.

.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment